Friday, August 26, 2011

The joys and difficulties of only one baby

The past couple days Henry and Bea have been on a road trip with my mom and I have been here alone with Clementine.  Justin is also out of town, so it's really just the two of us and I am forced to revisit the time when it was just Henry and I at home with no other kids yet.  In many ways I love it.  Since I don't have to be constantly wiping noses, finding blankies, answering questions, cooking and cleaning up dishes constantly I have been able to just enjoy my little baby like I used to.  We have wrestled, snuggled, laughed as I chased her around the house, made growling noises, copied each other, and I actually had time to just look into her eyes and see her darling smile on her face and let it soak in.  She's the only child I really don't have one on one time with every day so this has been such a blessing.

On the other hand, I remember how hard it is to be your one child's only entertainment.  Clementine is usually occupied by Henry and Bea, but these past couple of days when I have had to get things done around the house and there's no one to play with, she has found ways to entertain herself that she's never thought of before.  She has learned how to turn the lights on and off, she has pulled every dish towel out of the bottom drawer of the kitchen, she has attempted to crawl up the bookshelf, which is so scary.  I haven't ever had a climber and constantly climbs on the chairs to get on top of the table.  She is way more needy and wants me to hold her all the time.  I can see why some parents decide not to have more than one child because they think every child will be like the first.  Not so.  More than one is always better!  I'm so glad I have a little brood of children who play with each other, even if they run each other over with strollers and someone is always crying at all points of the day. I am so blessed to have my darling kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment